Re: [patch] scheduler cache affinity improvement for 2.4 kernels

From: Davide Libenzi (davidel@xmailserver.org)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 21:09:29 EST

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > The MQ scheduler has the same roots of the proposed one but has a longest
> > fast path due the try to make global scheduling decisions at every
> > schedule.
>
> Ahh, so that's why it hasn't been adopted...

Changing the scheduler is not easy ( not to code patches but to make
everyone agree on the need of changing it ) and as i already said, it's
easier to force my cat to have a bath instead of Linus to change the
scheduler :)

> > I'm in contact ( close contact coz we're both in Beaverton :) ) with IBM
> > guys to have the two scheduler tested on bigger machines if the proposed
> > scheduler will give some fruit.
> >

> >From what I've seen, it probably will...
>
> I hope something like this will go into 2.5...
>
> What do other unixes do in this case? Are there any commercial Unixes that
> have loose affinity like linux currently does? What about NT?

I can't say about NT.
I've tried a "cvs checkout" from cvs.microsoft.com but the running server
( Nimda-CVS running on port 2401 ) said me that, although I've full
read/write access on the repository, the server is busy scanning port 80s :)

- Davide