Re: Athlon cooling

From: Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 21:01:21 EST

CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE

in the apm setup...

clock throttling is a subject of some debate on the linux kernel list... ;)
but the apm idle call will at least idle the cpu once the idle loop has
been running for a while.

joelja

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, David Grant wrote:

> There is a program for Windows called CPUIdle, which cools the Athlon
> tremendoulsy. I can get my temp. from 52C down to 36C. It makes the CPU
> truly go idle. Is there anything like this for Linux, and I'm wondering if
> anyone knows the instructions (and/or signals) which could be used to put
> the Athlon into this state. I guess it's more of a question for some APM
> guys, but I thought some people here might know the interface to the Athlon,
> and might thus know how this software cooling works. Actually the low-level
> apm stuff is part of the kernel right? so maybe this is on-topic.
>
> http://www.cpuidle.de/
>
> Cheers,
> David Grant
> -

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.