Re: MS Natural keyboard extra keys using usb

From: Greg Sheard (greg@ecsc.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 07:38:09 EST

On Sat, 2001-11-10 at 01:00, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:23:22PM -0800, Daniel Ceregatti wrote:
> >
> > Ever since 2.4.10, these keys have stopped working.
>
> Are you sure you are still using the HID keyboard drivers, and not the
> usbkbd (boot protocol keyboard) driver?

A quick squint at menuconfig in 2.4.13 offers CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV:

  Say Y here if you want to support HID devices (from the USB
  specification standpoint) that aren't strictly user interface
  devices, like monitor controls and Uninterruptable Power Supplies.
  It is also used for "consumer keys" on multimedia keyboards and
  USB speakers.

  This module supports these devices separately using a separate
  event interface on /dev/usb/hiddevX (char 180:96 to 180:111).
  This driver requires CONFIG_USB_HID.

IMHO this may offer the functionality that's disappeared - whilst I also
have a Natural Keyboard, I've yet to bother mapping the consumer keys.

Cheers,
Greg.