Re: File System Performance

From: Lionel Bouton (Lionel.Bouton@free.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 17:11:50 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

>In article <3BF04289.8FC8B7B7@zip.com.au>,
>Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au> wrote:
>
>>It's tar. It cheats. It somehow detects that the
>>output is /dev/null, and so it doesn't read the input files.
>>

>Probably the kernel.

Seems not the case with gnu tar : write isn't even called once on the fd
returned by open("/dev/null",...). In fact a "grep write" on the strace
output is empty in the "tar cf /dev/null" case. Every file in the tar-ed
tree is stat-ed but no-one is read-ed.

--
 Lionel Bouton

- "I wanted to be free, so I opensourced my whole DNA code" Gyver, 1999.