Re: GPLONLY kernel symbols???

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 23:49:35 EST

Alexander Viro writes:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > Are you being deliberately obtuse? Your "that would explain a lot"
> > comment is an obvious insult.
>
> I'm absolutely serious and yes, by now I consider the possibility
> that you _really_ don't bother to read the core kernel code as very
> probable. Style incompatibilities give a very plausible explanation
> - I certainly can understand why somebody used to common kernel
> style can have trouble reading code in your style and vice versa.

[I'm going to pretend you don't wish to be rude]

> The question still stands, BTW - should your "...I would be unable to
> read..." be taken seriously?

I should have put a smiley face there. Obviously, "unable to read"
isn't literally true, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to write
devfs in the first place (or Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt, for
that matter), since I wouldn't have been able to read the kernel
sources. I do find the coding style unpleasant, though.

So, I *do* read core kernel code, and can understand it, despite the
appalling coding style.

Hopefully this answers your serious questions, and the matter can be
put at rest.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au