Re: 2.4.9 to 2.4.14 bug & workaround

From: Peter Wächtler (pwaechtler@loewe-komp.de)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 07:11:01 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, joeja@mindspring.com wrote:
>
> (reformatted quote to heed line length provisions)
> > I have an internal iomega 'type' (not iomega) IDE zip drive. It
> > mounts as /dev/hdd instead of /dev/hdd4. Mounting as /dev/hdd seems
> > okay.
> >
> > Mounting as /dev/hdd4 will hang my kernel( 2.4.9-2.4.14). I have read
> > that on some MB you can change the bios to none for the ide device and
> > this works on certain mb. I tried this and it did not change
> > anything.
>
> Well, all this depends on how the media has been formatted. From what I
> heard (I have no exchangable drives since I sold my SyQuest crap), some
> ZIP (presumably) media are partitioned and have their fourth partition
> formatted, giving your data as /dev/hdd4 or /dev/sdb4 or something other
> with 4 to the end. Then, the entire media might be formatted "raw" with
> Linux, so you'd have to mount /dev/hdd instead.

Yes, in theory ;-)
I have an internal IDE 100MB Zip @home.
In the office I have a 250MB USB ZIP.

The media is partitioned, with the 4th primary partition formatted
as VFAT.

On the IDE I mount /dev/hdb, on the USB thing I mount sd[ab]4
depending if the flash reader is there or not.
Hmh?

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 4 heads, 32 sectors, 1536 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb4 1 1536 98288 6 FAT16

Of course I use different kernels, @home: 2.4.9ac18 and 2.4.1[34]-xfs;
@office for now 2.4.9ac3+bcl.

Until now I thought it had something to do with the different gendisk,
LDM or so.