Re: Merge BUG in 2.4.15-pre4 serial.c

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@evision-ventures.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 12:37:54 EST

Russell King wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 05:49:24PM +0100, Martin Dalecki wrote:
> > I have found the following code in serial.c aorund line 5565
> >
> > #ifdef __i386__
> > if (i == NR_PORTS) {
> > for (i = 4; i < NR_PORTS; i++)
> > if ((rs_table[i].type == PORT_UNKNOWN) &&
> > (rs_table[i].count == 0))
> > break;
> > }
> > #endif
> > if (i == NR_PORTS) {
> > for (i = 0; i < NR_PORTS; i++)
> > if ((rs_table[i].type == PORT_UNKNOWN) &&
> > (rs_table[i].count == 0))
> > break;
> > }
> >
> > This is supposedly the result of applying some patch twice.
> > Let me guess the first 8 lines of this can be deleted.
>
> Look at it closer, in particular the for() loops.
>
> It's basically there so that on x86, we don't normally use ttyS0-3
> for pcmcia and other similar ports, unless we run out of other ports
> to use.

Well I still think that the 8 lines can be deleted. Once again my famous
notbook is perfectly __i386__ and doesn't contain any devices served by
serial.c
unless I configure IrDA. Pushing the port numbers artificially behind
doesn't make sense for me and makes some setserial unknown tricks
neccessary
for irtty setup.