Re: Differences between 2.2.x and 2.4.x initrd

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 14:49:31 EST

Ben Collins wrote:
> Basically what we have is a kernel image with ramdisk and initrd
> enabled, and a root disk image slapped on the end that is loaded via
> initrd.
>
> On 2.2.x, this works without problems; the ramdisk is loaded, and
> /sbin/init is executed. However, with 2.4.x, it's quite different.
>
> It loads the initial ramdisk, mounts it fine, tries to execute /linuxrc
> (same as in 2.2.x, but it isn't there, so it continues), and then
> complains with this:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 02:00
>
> For some reason it is trying to mount /dev/fd, and totally forgets
> about /dev/ram. If I pass root=/dev/ram to the command line, it works
> fine, but I don't want to have to do this :)

hrm, if your root filesystem is indeed in RAM, then root=/dev/ram seems
appropriate on both 2.2.x and 2.4.x. That's what 2.2.x and 2.4.x
Documentation/initrd.txt seem to indicate to me, anyway.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024    | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.