Re: fdutils.

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 15:52:40 EST

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > Hmm, Sun used to have a software-controlled standard floppy drives years
> > ago...
>
> I'm not talking about Suns.

 I'm just pointing out there used to be no problem with making a
software-controlled eject for a legacy floppy device even long ago if one
wanted to.

> > Based on local obervations hardly anyone uses floppies anymore... They
> > are mostly used for system rescue purposes, where the kind of a device
> > doesn't really matter.
>
> ... except that you no longer can fit a reasonable system rescue/install
> setup on a floppy, so it *defintitely* matters. Also, the floppy device
> is like a rash all over the hardware; it maintains a highly undesirable
> legacy.

 You only confirm what I wrote -- hardly anyone uses floppies, so there is
no need to keep mechanical compatibility in devices -- a complete dump of
1.44" FD support would be almost harmless. Hence whether a Zip or a
LS-120 -- it doesn't really matter. You need new media anyway.