Re: PATCH: scsi_scan.c: emulate windows behavior

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 20:44:24 EST

I'm hard pressed to come up with a reason that changing the SCSI probing
would affect SANE...

If you've found a merge of 255 back into the kernel, then that means that,
for a while, my 36 patch _was_ in place. Was that (overfix) the only
reason it was reverted to 255 after a while?

Matt

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 11:26:27PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > This patch doesn't prevent another application from getting more INQUIRY
> > bytes. What it does change is how much data the SCSI scanning loop looks
> > for. That data is requested, and then thrown away. It's not kept around
> > for anything.
> >
> > If it were kept, I'd agree with you. But it's not. Some useful data is
> > copied out of the INQUIRY result, and then the buffer is overwritten by the
> > next probing request.
>
> Ok I need to double check that. My merge of the 255 has a note saying for
> fixing sane, but that doesnt mean someone didnt overfix the matter
> -

Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

We can customize our colonels. -- Tux User Friendly, 12/1/1998