Real Time Runqueue

From: Mike Kravetz (kravetz@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 15:20:05 EST

As you may know, a few of us are experimenting with multi-runqueue
scheduler implementations. One area of concern is where to place
realtime tasks. It has been my assumption, that POSIX RT semantics
require a specific ordering of tasks such as SCHED_FIFO and SCHED_RR.
To accommodate this ordering, I further believe that the simplest
solution is to ensure that all realtime tasks reside on the same
runqueue. In our MQ scheduler we have a separate runqueue for all
realtime tasks. The problem is that maintaining a separate realtime
runqueue is a pain and results in some fairly complex/ugly code.

Since I'm not a realtime expert, I would like to ask if my assumption
about strict ordering of RT tasks is accurate. Also, is anyone aware
of other ways to approach this problem?

Thanks,

--
Mike