Build problem

From: Rick Stevens (rstevens@vitalstream.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 18:56:50 EST

This may or may not have been discussed. Yesterday, I was building
2.4.14 (yes, a bit behind the time) for a system where the root
filesystem lives on a Symbios 53c8xx SCSI drive. I built the system
as fully modularized (the root driver and such were modules). When
I finally got around to building the initrd image, I noticed that
the scsi_mod.o and sd_mod.o drivers were NOT loaded into the ramdisk
image.

Hmmm. I looked at the /lib/modules/2.4.14/kernel/drivers/scsi
directory and discovered that scsi_mod.o and sd_mod.o weren't
present! Looking back at the source tree, they had indeed been built.
Apparently the "make modules_install" didn't move them to the /lib
tree. So I copied them manually, re-depmoded it and re-built the
initrd image. This time, the scsi_mod and sd_mod modules WERE
inserted into the ramdisk image. However, when booting using that
image, neither scsi_mod nor sd_mod are loaded. The sym53c8xx driver
DOES load, but we have an instant panic because the root filesystem
can't be found.

What did I do wrong here? Is "make modules_install" broken in 2.4.14?
Am I suffering from a short between the keyboard and floor? For
further info, this is a baseline RedHat 7.1 system, but I want the
2.4.14 kernel (the virtual memory system seems to work better for
our purposes than that found in kernels <= 2.4.9 and no, I don't
want to get into a discussion about the merits of the aa and ac
VM systems).

P.S. I'm posting this to linux-kernel and linux-scsi. Someone should
be able to tell me what I did wrong.