Re: Microsoft IE6 is crashing with Linux 2.4.X

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 15:20:08 EST

Followup to: <000001c16e6c$c29061d0$f5976dcf@nwfs>
By author: "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@timpanogas.org>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> According to some folks who responded to this, IE6 is just plain broken. I
> apologize for the lateness of responding, but my Linux server crashed with
> sendmail spawing thread after thread and my /var/spool/mqueue directory
> filled to bursting with corrupted mail headers. IE6 got into some kind of
> braindead loop where it started flooding sendmail with tons of bogus (and
> garbage) mail headers.
>
> It's clearly a piece of sh_t browser. This latest release qualifies as a
> computer virus. It's much more destructive that lion every dreamed of
> being.

Even so, it's a server problem -- replace your IE6 (l)user with a
malicious hacker, and you still have a problem...

Microsoft likes to discard vulnerabilities by "no standard client
would do this." No, and no "standard visitor" would apply a crowbar
to your patio door, either.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt	<amsp@zytor.com>