Re: SiS630 chipsets && linux 2.4.x kernel == snails pace?

From: Anders Peter Fugmann (afu@fugmann.dhs.org)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 16:41:50 EST

On 11/18/2001 09:11 PM, John Jasen wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Anders Peter Fugmann wrote:
>>
>>Another thing... Is it the same machine?
>>

> I have three machines with SiS630 boards at the moment.
>
> Two are identical, except for current kernel. (labrat5 and labrat6)

Hmm. It seems that these machines are in fact not identical.
I would strongly suggest that you try to boot either one with another
kernel, and see how it reacts.

(if labrat6 is still fast using a 2.4 kernel, or if labrat5 is still
slow with a 2.2 kernel, you have successfully shown a hardware/BIOS
differnce between the two machines.)

Another idea could be not to compile in SIS support.
It might be that the driver is broken. The 2.2 kernel does not have
support for the chipset, and uses general drivers instead. That should
explain why throughput is higher in 2.4 kernel.

Thats the best I can do for now. Sorry.

> configs and lspci output added to
> http://www.realityfailure.org/~jjasen/SiS630

I really cannot understand why they differ, since Revision numbers are
identical, but alot of IO-ports are not. Maybe you have two different
revisions of the same motherboard.
Anyone else care to try and explain?

Regards
Anders Fugmann