st.c SCSI Tape ioctl() bug

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 22:48:19 EST

Kai/Linux,

The ioctl() function to enable/disable code 15 comrpession has
some problems. I have a fix to the code, but it does not
always seem to work properly, so I think you should do this
review.

If you call the ioctl() tape command from kernel space to
enable and disable **DEFAULT** compression (not MTCOMPRESSION
ioctl, the MT_ST_DEF_COMPRESSION code path) there is a case
where the default_compression/compression_changed flags
can horribly out of sync.

Please take a look at this code. We have gotten around it
by simply calling MTCOMPRESSION everytime we need to use it,
however, but the other path seems busted, and it would be
nice for it to work properly.

Thanks,

Jeff