Re: x bit for dirs: misfeature?

From: James A Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 09:36:18 EST

On Monday 19 November 2001 4:22 pm, vda wrote:
> Everytime I do 'chmod -R a+rX dir' and wonder are there
> any executables which I don't want to become world executable,
> I think "Whatta hell with this x bit meaning 'can browse'
> for dirs?! Who was that clever guy who invented that? Grrrr"
>
> Isn't r sufficient? Can we deprecate x for dirs?
> I.e. make it a mirror of r: you set r, you see x set,
> you clear r, you see x cleared, set/clear x = nop?
>
> Benefits:
> chmod -R go-x dir (ensure there is no executables)
> chmod -R a+r dir (make tree world readable)
> mount -t vfat -o umask=644 /dev/xxx dir
> (I don't want all files to be flagged as executables there)
>
> These commands will do what I want without (sometimes ugly) tricks.
> For mount, I can't even see how to do it with current implementation.
>
> What standards will be broken?
> Any real loss of functionality apart from compat issues?

The R and X bits on directories have different meanings. Watch:

$ mkdir test
$ echo content > test/file
$ chmod a-r test
$ ls test
ls: test: permission denied
$ cat test/file
content
$ chmod a=r test
$ ls test
ls: test/file: Permission denied

In short, the X bit allows you to access the contents of the directory, while
R allows you to LIST those contents. There are valid uses for X only
directories (i.e. users are not allowed to list the contents, only to access
them directly by name). R-only directories make little sense, as you can see
from the transcript above :)

James.