missing function used in 2.4.14 loop.c

From: Ishan Jayawardena (ioshadij@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 12:13:44 EST

        I've seen that the compilation of off-the-server
2.4.14 tree fails at the end of 'make bzImage' because
drivers/block/loop.c uses the deactivate_page() function,
which seems to have been removed from the source tree.
        By following the progress of the kernel through
2.4.12, 2.4.13, and 2.4.14 patches, I've seen that
page_cache_release() does the same things as
deactivate_page(). Both these functions are used in the
together twice in drivers/block/loop.c. I compiled
the 2.4.14 kernel by commenting out the references to
deactivate_page() but leaving page_cache_release(), and
loopback block devs work; but I do not have the resources
to check it for memory leaks etc.
        I _think_ I have done the right thing, but
would appreciate verification by a regular kernel-
hacker :-)
I searched the net for some reference to this problem,
but couldn't find anything so far.

(The presence of this function _would_ allow a user
to continue with the compilation _if_ loop blk dev support
was selected as a module, correct ? I've compiled loop blk-
dev support in to the kernel.)

**** Please, CC your comments to me.
ioshadij@hotmail.com
.