Re: [VM] 2.4.14/15-pre4 too "swap-happy"?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 13:07:58 EST

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> Hi,
> I couldn't answer ealier because I had some problems with my ISP
> the heavy swapping problem while burning a cd is solved in pre6aa1
> but if you want i can do some statistics tommorow

Well, pre6aa1 performs really badly exactly because it by default doesn't
swap enough even on _normal_ loads because Andrea is playing with some
tuning (and see the bad results of that tuning in the VM testing by
rwhron@earthlink.net).

So the pre6aa1 numbers are kind of suspect - lack of swapping may not be
due to fixing the problem, but due to bad tuning.

Does plain pre6 solve it? Plain pre6 has a fix where a locked shared
memory area would previously cause unnecessary swapping, and maybe the CD
burning buffer is using shmlock..

                Linus