Re: Swap

From: James A Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 04:16:04 EST

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 2:47 am, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> James A Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > > Reasonable. It looks like the use once heuristics are failing for your
> > > mp3 files. Find out why that is happening and they should push the
> > > rest of your system into swap.
> >
> > Getting clobbered by the mp3 player accessing the ID3 tag? That way, at
> > least part of the file is used twice, so use-ONCE won't matter...
>
> For that page perhaps. But that is only 4K. That doesn't explain the rest
> of it. use-once is per page.

True - the ID3 can be in several different places, so that could account for
a couple of pages, but mp3 players certainly DON'T read the whole file in
before playing...

Does the mp3 player in question try to pre-read the pages using one
process/thread, before the actual player thread reaches them? How far apart
would two accesses need to be to disable read-once?

James.