Re: LOBOS (kexec)

From: RaúlNúñez de Arenas Coronado (dervishd@jazzfree.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 07:22:28 EST

    Hello Larry (or Eric) :)

>> I've been wanting Linux which can boot Linux for a long time.
>I am maintaining a version of this functionality against 2.4.x
>called kexec. And I plan to work on integration into linux with 2.5.x.
>After the details are worked out I will look at a backport to 2.4.x

    I think that this is a very important point, since will ease the
making of installation disks, etc... Moreover, it will ease the
creation of 'live' linux systems that can do a pretty work detecting
the hardware and the like.

>The hard part is not linux booting linux but the passing of the
>firmware/BIOS tables from one kernel to the next.

    Why?. I mean, I haven't read on this issue in the LOBOS project.
I'm afraid I thought that this was easier than it really is...

>I am doing this a part of the linuxBIOS effort and as such it is just

    I want to take a look at LinuxBIOS.

    Raúl