2.4.15-pre6 compile errors

From: Arnd Bergmann (arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 08:01:26 EST

I have tried to compile a few useless configurations (on i686, gcc-2.96) of
the latest kernel and so far found three cases where a valid configuration
fails to compile:

CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE && (CONFIG_CRAMFS || CONFIG_ZISOFS):
Symbol clashes from two zlib copies (again...). I suppose the symbols in
drivers/net/zlib.c could all be made static unless a merge of both zlib
copies is already planned.

!CONFIG_INET:
Some files in net/core/ are compiled unconditionally, but depend on TCP/IP
(CONFIG_INET). The problem is that TCP_ENC_send in include/net/tcp_ecn.h
accesses the disabled 'af_inet' part of struct sock. A simple #ifdef at the
right place should solve this.

CONFIG_MULTIQUAD && CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT:
arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.o can't resolve __io_virt_debug (from outb_p)
when linking bzImage. This configuration is really useless and fixing this
would be rather ugly, so I suggest explicitly forbidding it to help the next
fool to try 'yes | make config'.

Arnd <><