Re: Swap

From: Christopher Friesen (cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 12:14:47 EST

"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 20 November 2001 15:51, J.A. Magallon wrote:
> > > When a page is deleted for one executable (because we can re-read it from
> > > on-disk binary), it is discarded, not paged out.
> >
> > What happens if the on-disk binary has changed since loading the program?
> > -
>
> It can't. That's the reason for `install` and other methods of changing
> execututable files (mv exe-file exe-file.old ; cp newfile exe-file).
> The currently open, and possibly mapped file can be re-named, but it
> can't be overwritten.

Actually, with NFS (and probably others) it can. Suppose I change the file on
the server, and it's swapped out on a client that has it mounted. When it swaps
back in, it can get the new information.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557