Re: Swap

From: Nick LeRoy (nleroy@cs.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 13:14:38 EST

<snip>
> I note that NFS files don't currently return ETXTBSY, but this is a bug.
> It is 'known' to the OS that the NFS mounted file-system is busy because
> you can't unmount the file-system while an executable is running. If
> you can trash it (as you can on Linux), it is surely a bug.
>
> Alan explained a few years ago that NFS was "stateless". Nevertheless
> it is still a bug.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's more a bug in the NFS protocol
than in the Linux (or Solaris, etc) NFS implementation. The problem is that
NFS itself just doesn't pass that information along. The NFS server has no
idea that the 'text' file is being executed, so it doesn't know that it
should "return" ETXTBSY.

Now, this might be different in NFS v3, but I'm pretty sure that this applies
for v2, at least.

-Nick