problem with NAT on 2.4

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 14:41:05 EST

Hello,

I am using a SuSE 7.3 distro kernel 2.4.10 and ran into some really strange
problem with NAT. I have a private network setup (192.168.3.x) with win-clients
(win98, W2K) and a variety of IE-browsers. From this network I wanted to grant
direct access to the internet via NAT. Basically it works, but what does not
work is a http-connection from _any_ tested win client over linux NAT to a
certain MS IIS 5.0.
I wouldn't be that bothered if the exact same clients wouldn't connect
flawlessly over a 50 bucks DSL-router to the same IIS. Other servers (whatever
I tried) seem to work, but not the really important one (Murphy of course ;-).
Does anybody have an idea why NAT in 2.4.10 wouldn't work like NAT in some
cheap dsl-router equipment regarding http-connections?
Is there any sense in upgrading to 2.4.15-preX?
I even tried some gateway software based on windoze that is able to NAT - and
it works too! I pretty much ran out of ideas...

Regards,
Stephan