Re: SiS630 chipsets && linux 2.4.x kernel == snails pace?

From: John Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 11:51:26 EST

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, John Jasen wrote:

> Making a more stripped 2.4.14 now, and will post results and .config in
> the same directory as everything else.

ehhh ... same results.

Interestingly enough, a few people posted and emailed that they hade no
problems with their SiS630E chipsets, and offering various theories
therein.

My vendor had a SiS630E board that was going to be RMA'd (broken ps/2 port
for mouse of all damned things), so he quickly built a system around it, I
ssh'ed in, copied over 2.4.14, and make dep took a whopping 37 seconds or
so, with make (on a .config with everything either added in or as a
module) about 6.5 minutes.

So, no, whatever magic molassas infects my SiS630 boards does not seem to
extend to the SiS630E.

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
-- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.