Re: [VM/MEMORY-SICKNESS] 2.4.15-pre7 kmem_cache_create invalid opcode

From: Jeff Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 14:53:51 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arjan van de Ven" <arjan@fenrus.demon.nl>
To: "Jeff Merkey" <jmerkey@timpanogas.org>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [VM/MEMORY-SICKNESS] 2.4.15-pre7 kmem_cache_create invalid
opcode

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:31:15AM -0700, Jeff Merkey wrote:
>
> > I would anticipate seeing this problem with their kernel source RPM. In
> > fact, I do, you have to do a make distclean before you can use it
because
> > of the way their rpm script munges all the versioned trees into a tmp
area
> > during RPM creation. There's only one source tree (usually the last one
> > they built) and lots of binary rpm versions from the one tree (i.e.
i386,
> > i686, etc.).
>
> Yes and during the build the modversions and depenency info etc for each
> version is nicely stored in separate directories which is later combined
> into one tree with #if's for the proper currently running kernel.
>
> Have you even looked at the kernel-source RPM ?

Yes. I based a Linux distribution on RedHat's 6.2 last year, and I am
**VERY** familiar with your anaconda installer and kernel.src.rpm build
modules. I know the 7.X stuff got a hell of a lot better, but customers
still have to sterilize the build area are your rpm gets installed in order
to build external kernel modules.

Jeff