Re: [patch] sched_[set|get]_affinity() syscall, 2.4.15-pre9

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 20:11:25 EST

On Nov 22, 2001 19:51 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> I would suggest letting users set their own affinity (since it only
> lessens what they can do) and let a capability dictate if non-root users
> can set other user's tasks affinities. CAP_SYS_ADMIN would do fine.

Rather use something else, like CAP_SYS_NICE. It ties in with the idea
of scheduling, and doesn't further abuse the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability.
CAP_SYS_ADMIN, while it has a good name, has become the catch-all of
capabilities, and if you have it, it is nearly the keys to the kingdom,
just like root.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger