Re: 2.5.0 breakage even with fix?

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 19:23:03 EST

On Nov 24, 2001 00:54 +0000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> I'm now running 2.5.0 with fix you posted - and now during dselect
> run I received:
>
> Unpacking replacement manpages ...
> EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,3)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory
> #3801539: unaligned directory entry - offset=0, inode=1801675088,
> rec_len=26465, name_len=101
> Remounting filesystem read-only
> rm: cannot remove directory `/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci': Read-only file system

Did you run e2fsck -f after running unpatched 2.4.15/2.5.0? This may be
left-over garbage from the other problem.

> and system is obviously unusable. I'll probably reboot and run fsck again.
> If someone can show me how I can dump contents of some inode by number
> (and not by name) in debugfs, I can look into inode itself... I found
> only 'ncheck', to convert number to name, and this is running and running...

debugfs> stat <inum>
debugfs> dump <inum> /tmp/file

Note that you need to include the <> around the inode number.

> System was running 2.5.0 without patch for some time, but I followed
> your guidelines for rebooting:
>
> fuser -k /
> sync
> mount -o remount,ro /
> sync
> reboot
>
> After reboot fsck was NOT run, so it is possible that there
> might be some corruption - but I ran fsck on my non-root partition
> after boot, and it did not show any problems.

Ah, yes. Definitely sounds like left over corruption.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger