Re: Moving ext3 journal file

From: Mike Castle (dalgoda@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 16:19:02 EST

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 11:54:11AM +0100, Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 04:07:44PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > This is all fine and good except for the root partition (I'm pleased
> > to hear that e2fsck 1.25 will move the journal to the hidden inode for
> > non-root partitions.) It would be nice if this was done automagically
> > by the mounting code instead of by fsck; that way migration would
> > truly be painless.
>
> Hm, the e2fsck check does not work for me...
> The .journal file still exists after
>
> # umount /dev/hda11
> # e2fsck -f /dev/hda11
> # mount /dev/hda11
> # rpm -q e2fsprogs
> e2fsprogs-1.25-1

I was just going to comment on this as well. I cannot get this to work as
advertised on a homegrown system as well.

Even tune2fs -l | grep inode and ls -i .journal show it's still using the
same inode.

Actually, a quick look through the code, I can't see where e2fsck would
take measures to hide .journal. At least not in 1.25.

mrc

--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/