Re: Release Policy [was: Linux 2.4.16 ]

From: Chris Meadors (clubneon@hereintown.net)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 12:22:47 EST

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Sorry for not being able to discuss this issues... Its just that I'm too
> busy doing the maintenance and other stuff at Conectiva at the same time
> (people are flooding me with patches, btw, please stop for a while).
>
> Daniel Quinlan suggested me to release a "pre-final" release before the
> real final one (which would catch most "stupid" bugs), and I think thats a
> nice way of solving the problem.
>
> I'll _probably_ do that --- not sure yet, though.

Aren't all the -pre's pre-finals? And what if there is a big bug found in
the -final, it will obviously be followed up with a -final-final?

I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine for
the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems found
with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no more bug
reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.

-Chris

--
Two penguins were walking on an iceberg.  The first penguin said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo."  The second penguin