Re: Journaling pointless with today's hard disks?

From: Matthias Andree (
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 19:08:23 EST

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > Drives should never reassign blocks on read operations, because they'd
> > take away the chance to try to read that block for say four hours.
> Why not? If drive gets ECC-correctable read error, it seems to me like
> good time to reassign.

Because you don't know if it's just some slipped bits, a shutdown during
write, or an actual fault. When that happens on a verify after write,
that's indeed reasonable. Otherwise the drive should just mark that
block as "watch closely on next write".
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at