Re: average user comments on 2.5.1-pre5

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 15:41:35 EST

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 07:06, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> I've just tried running 2.5.1-pre5 on my desktop machine and
> noticed the following, when untarring medium sized files (kernel tarballs)
> even from disk to disk (different channels) or moving large files around i
> get mouse lag in X and after its done, and the flushing to disk begins the
> interactive performance of the box takes a dive for the duration of that
> disk activity. The last kernel i had before this was 2.4.13-ac7-preempt
> which didn't exhibit this. 2.5.1-pre1 has the same problem.

Maybe you ought to try the preempt-kernel patch on your current kernel,
since it may of been responsible for your interactivity improvements.

Although I don't make explicit 2.5 patches available yet, the
2.4.17-pre1 or 2.4.16 patches should apply. Conversely, 2.4.17-pre2 has
some changes that may improve latency. You want to try it, or, even
better, it with the preemptive kernel patch.

The preempt-kernel patches can be found at:
        ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-kernel

        Robert Love