Re: [kbuild-devel] Converting the 2.5 kernel to kbuild 2.5

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 12:02:17 EST

cate@dplanet.ch said:
> I don't think esr changed non problematic rules, but one: all rules
> without help become automatically dependent to CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL. I
> don't like it, but I understand why he makes this decision.

That is precisely the kind of bogus change which should _not_ be done in
such an underhand way.

With the exception of obvious and undisputed bug fixes, the behaviour of
the first CML2 version should precisely match the behaviour of the last
CML1 version.

If you want to make symbols without help depend on CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL,
submit the equivalent patch for CML1 and watch it get shot down in flames.

Then go away.

But don't let this dissuade you from doing something that's actually
useful, like CML2 could be.

On the other hand, perhaps we could reach some kind of a deal.... Eric, if
you can manage to also sneak a kernel debugger past Linus as part of your
big-patch-which-hides-controversial-changes, I for one would be happy enough
to deal with the bogus config changes :)

--
dwmw2