Re: 2.4.16 + strace 4.4 + setuid programs

From: Jason Kohles (jkohles@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 10:56:04 EST

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 01:09:02AM -0500, Keith Warno wrote:
> Hmm. Is strace supposed to be capable of tracing setuid programs (ie,
> su) when executed by mortal users? I always thought this was a big
> no-no.

You can trace them, but strace will ignore the setuid bit on the process,
for example if you strace su, you will see a lot of permission denied, as
it won't actually run as root, and won't be able to open things like
/etc/shadow or /proc/self/fd/0. If you want to strace setuid things and
have the setuid bit honored, you have to run strace as root with the -u
option.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@redhat.com
Senior System Architect                      (703)786-8036 (cellular)