Re: [NFS] Re: [Ext2-devel] Re: 2.4.9 kernel crash

From: Ragnar Kjørstad (nfs@ragnark.vestdata.no)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 15:52:58 EST

Hi Stephen.

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 06:50:27PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > So what could this be then ?
>
> > VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...
>
> has been reported before, even on much more recent kernels, and even
> without ext3 loaded. So basically I've no idea what's behind it.

To quote my own post to xfs_devel and lk july 20th, subject
"Busy inodes after umount":

I've now been able to reproduce:

* make a filesystem
* mount it
* export it (nfs)
* mount on remote machine
* lock file (fcntl)
* unexport
* unmount

Then you get the VFS message about self-destruct. Tested with both ext2
and xfs.

A reply from Neil Brown:
Yep. It is not filesystem specific.
nfsd does not flush locks when a filesystem is un-exported, only when
a client is removed, and that actually never happens.
In fs/nfsd/lockd.c there is a comment:

/*
 * When removing an NFS client entry, notify lockd that it is gone.
 * FIXME: We should do the same when unexporting an NFS volume.
 */

That FIXME needs to be fixed. I need to read through some more code
before I am sure how to do it, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I hope that can be of some help?

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage