Re: [reiserfs-dev] Re: Ext2 directory index: ALS paper and benchmarks

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 15:28:00 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:

>By the way, we can trivially shrink every inode by 6 bytes, right now, with:
>
>- __u32 i_faddr;
>- __u8 i_frag_no;
>- __u8 i_frag_size;
>
>--
>Daniel
>-

Using a union of filesystems, that might not even be compiled into the
kernel or as modules, in struct inode is just..... bad.

It is really annoying when the filesystems with larger inodes bloat up
the size for those who are careful with their bytes, can we do something
about that generally?
(There are quite a variety of ways to do something about it, if there is
a will.) I have programmers who come to me asking for permission for
adding bloat to our part of struct inode , and when they point out that
it does no good to save on bytes unless ext2 does, well..... what can I say?

Hans