Re: device video0

From: YH (yh86us@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 21:53:27 EST

Hi,

I have a quickcam module linked to /dev/video0. It was fine to run modprobe
char-major-81-0, but the /dev/video0 (major=81, minor=0) cannot be opened, the
errno=19 (No such device). There was no error of loading module in
/var/log/messages.

My understand is that calling open() to open video0, the system invokes
"modprobe char-major-81-0", if the module (alias char-major-81-0) can be
loaded, the device should be opened. What was I missing here? How can I
further diagnose it?

System: Dell Pentium III, Kernel 2.4.2-2 in RH 7.1 (no permission problem, I
am in both root and users. No problem with the USB and videodev module)

Hardware: logitech quickcam express webcam (USB) (no problem running it on the
Window of my dual-boot platform.)

Thank you.

yh