Re: Linux/Pro -- clusters

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 16:31:23 EST

    From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>

> And it means we can get proper refcounting. Which as the maintainer
> of two block drivers that support dynamic volume create/destroy is
> remarkably good news.
>
> You say this as if that would be a difference between the two
> approaches. I don't think it is.

    Its easier to make sure its correct when we have a single structure not
    a pile of arrays.

I don't understand your reference to arrays. Nobody uses arrays.
That is something of the past.

    Object lifetime becomes explicit, and we don't have to
    worry about re-use races since a new instance of that major,minor
    will have a different object attached to the one in use that is
    about to be refcounted into oblivion by currently active requests

As described, my setup certainly has no re-use races, since
I do not use refcounts as a way to terminate the lifespan of
a kdev_t. So, are you saying that you prefer my version?
I have problems reading your replies.

Andries