Re: mm question

From: volodya@mindspring.com
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 06:07:01 EST

On 11 Dec 2001, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> volodya@mindspring.com writes:

> > > You want to rewrite the entire vm to have back pointers ? Right now you
> > > can't find pages in an address range. Its all driven from the virtual side
> > > without reverse lookup tables.
> > >

> > You are right I don't want to rewrite vm. But I can go thru virtual side
> > taking note of the physical address. I.e. base the decision to try and
> > free pages not on how old the page is but on what it's physical address
> > is.
> >
> > You see, I don't want to find a few pages in 16mb range in 512mb system.
> >
> > I want to find a few pages _outside_ 64mb range in a 512mb system.
> > So if I free 70mb I _will_ be able to find at least 2mb in my desired
> > range. In fact I won't have to free that much as they it will work is
> > "try to free the page", "if succeed do not return to memory pool but
> > instead give to the 'special region list'"
> >
> > Does this make sense ?
>
> There is actually a cheap trick that will achieve what you want.
> Allocate pages. If you allocate a page in the 0-64mb range keep
> it allocated until you have allocated your 300KB > 64mb. After
> you have all of the pages you want free the extra pages in 0-64mb that
> you didn't want...

Yes, I thought of that, but this might produce more memory pressure than
needed.

Regardless, it looks like I won't need this after all - the device has
internal memory controller which was misprogrammed. I think I corrected
this so it looks to be working now.

However, the question of how to get pages from a given range is
interesting in itself..

                 big thanks to everyone who responded :))

                            Vladimir Dergachev