Re: SV: Lockups with 2.4.14 and 2.4.16

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 19:36:03 EST

> > /var/spool volume hung and the mylex stopped responding
> > on that channel.
>
> / and /var/spool are on the same channel on the Mylex. If it's a question of
> an entire channel hung up, / must be blocked too. Please note, this happened
> on several machines so I guess it's not a hardware fault in the Mylex card.

I was using "channel" in a logical sense, not a physical one. I agree
its not likely to be hardware

> In the meantime, are there any patches I should apply or other things to
> try? I'd rather see there is no "next time"... Since we also upgraded to
> ReiserFS 3.6 it seems difficult/impossible to quickly revert to a
> 2.2-kernel.(?) These are production machines and people are getting upset
> about these lockups.

If anything unapplying patches might be the first move, to eliminate hangs
caused by - say races in the quota patches you applied. I don't know of any
but thats always got to be a question since I've not seen identical reports
before this one.

Alan