Re: Mounting a in-ROM filesystem efficiently

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 13:02:45 EST

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:

> [...]

Generally, ROM based stuff is compressed before being written to
NVRAM. It's uncompressed into a RAM-Disk and the RAM-Disk is mounted.

That way, you can use, say, 2 megabytes of NVRAM to get a 10 to 20
megabyte root file-system. This also allows /tmp and /var/log to be
writable, which is a great help because the development environment
closely approximates the run-time environment.

FYI, generally NVRAM access is sooooo slow. I don't think you'd
like to use it directly as a file-system and access-time will be
a problem unless you modify the kernel.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

 Santa Claus is coming to town...
          He knows if you've been sleeping,
             He knows if you're awake;
          He knows if you've been bad or good,
             So he must be Attorney General Ashcroft.