Re: the name "framebuffer"

From: Gábor Lénár (
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 17:56:00 EST

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:40:35PM -0500, Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
> adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
> name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
> like to know what other people think.


Well, maybe you should rename notion of 'buffer' in chemistry.
Buffer is a general and commonly used word in computer science as well
(and imho much more commonly used).

- Gabor
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Sat Dec 15 2001 - 21:00:29 EST