Re: modules.pcimap and 8139's

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 18:19:15 EST

Greg KH wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 05:26:41PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Various tools need to pick "8139cp.c" instead of "8139too.c" based on
> > PCI revision, which is not in modules.pcimap nor struct pci-device-id.
> > grep for 'pci_rev' in both those files to see the PCI revision checks
> > hand-coded currently in the drivers.
> >
> > What is the preferred -2.4- solution?
> >
> > a) append pci rev and mask to the end of each modules.pcimap line, and
> > update struct pci_device_id?
> > b) create new file modules.pci_rev?
> > c) other?
>
> d) ignore it :)
>
> linux-hotplug should try to run modprobe on every module that matches in
> the modules.pcimap table. That way the modules can fight it out for who
> really wants to control the device (I am assuming that the different
> modules know about the pci revision, right?)
>
> modules.pcimap is used to narrow the choices, not necessarily pick the
> "only" choice.

that's ok with me... 8139cp should come first and then error out. Then
(I hope!) 8139too is tried. If that works, all is cool.

But quintela was having a problem with this very thing not working for
him...

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024    | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.