Old i586 B stepping CPUs in SMP

From: Mathieu Desnoyers (compudj@krystal.dyndns.org)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 17:22:03 EST

Hi!

I went through a problem on an old computer, which has 2 Intel Pentium
90mhz CPU (B stepping). The computer model is an AST Manhattan P5090. I
use a 2.2.20 kernel.

First of all, the SMP module from the kernel gives me this warning :
WARNING: SMP operation may be unreliable with B stepping processors.

I think I may have found the cause of what has been my problem (and
maybe the original cause of this warning).

Linux doesn't boot at all when IRQ 2/9 is used. I tried many
different configurations, disabling a lot of cards, and it seems to be
the cause of the problem. I believe that this information could be
useful in some SMP documentation, that's why I posted it.

Thanks to all for your excellent work! I hope that this little piece of
(obsolete?) information will help.

Mathieu Desnoyers

OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68