compling kernel module against different kernel settings.

From: Joe Wong (joewong@rcn.com.hk)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 05:14:48 EST

Hi,

  I am quite new to linux kernel build procedure and please forgive me
if my question is too _easy_.

  From what I know I can change different parameters to build kernel by
make xconfig/make menuconfig/make config.

  The above proesses will generate different settings in .config and
autoconf.h. Now I want to build my loadable kernel module against
different kernel settings ( like CPU type, SMP support or not and so..
). Is this possible to automate all of the steps involed?

  I found out that 'make dep' does not update *.ver in
./include/linux/modules/ and I have to use make mrproper but it will
delete everthing..

  Or, I should build a generic module that can run on different kernel
settings? I am quite confuse and hope someone can give me a hand on
this.

TIA.

- Joe