Re: 2.4.17-rc1 kernel panic at boot

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 12:29:05 EST

BURJAN Gabor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with booting 2.4.17-rc1 on a RS/6000 (43P-140), when
> Vortex support is compiled into the kernel.

> >>NIP; c0264050 <vortex_probe1+394/cbc> <=====
> Trace; c0263f28 <vortex_probe1+26c/cbc>

That's a big function, unfortunately. Could you please
do the following?

In the top-level makefile, add the line:

CFLAGS += -g

right at the end. Then rebuild the kernel, recreate the
crash, then run:

gdb vmlinux
(gdb) l *0xc0264050

(Assuming that this is still the NIP address after you've rebuilt).

This should point us at the source code where the problem is
occurring.

Thanks.