Re: How to use >3G memory per process

From: Wayne Whitney (whitney@math.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:37:30 EST

In mailing-lists.linux-kernel, you wrote:

> [1] What need to be done for the kernel to support 3.5G or more user
> address space per process?

On ia32, change the value of __PAGE_OFFSET (where kernel space starts)
in include/asm-i386/page.h. The size of kernel space must be a power
of 2, so you can change __PAGE_OFFSET from its default of 0xC0000000
to either 0xE0000000 (reasonable) or 0xF0000000 (overboard ?).
You must also change the unlabeled value near the top of
arch/i386/vmlinux.lds to match the value of __PAGE_OFFSET.

> [2] What need to be done at compilation time? Any option for
> compiler/linker?

No changes are required in the method of compiling the kernel. As for
your application, no changes should be required, although I am not
familiar with libhoard.

Note that this change increases the mmap() region of user space, but
since you are speak of using malloc() and/or libhoard, that should be
sufficient for your purposes. With __PAGE_OFFSET set to 0xE0000000,
your program should have (3.5GB - 2 * Program Size - Stack Size) of
usable address space.

Cheers, Wayne