Re: gcc 3.0.2/kernel details (-O issue)

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 15:03:30 EST

On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 14:39, Martin Devera wrote:
> It is interesting that 2.2 can be done with -O. Also I'd expect
> errors during compilation and not silent crash...

Well, you certainly won't get errors, because compiler optimizations
shouldn't change expected syntax.

-O2 is the standard optimization level for the kernel; everything is
compiled via it. When developers test their code, nuances that the
optimization introduce are accepted. Removing the optimization may
break those expectations. Thus the kernel requires it.

        Robert Love