Re: aio

From: Benjamin LaHaise (bcrl@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 19:21:36 EST

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 04:13:59PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> Now, if these few and far between people who are actually interested
> in AIO are willing to throw money at the problem to get it worked on,
> that is how the "reasonable timescale" will be arrived at. And if
> they aren't willing to toss money at the problem, how important can it
> really be to them? :-)

People are throwing money at the problem. We're now at a point that in
order to provide the interested people with something they can use, we
need some kind of way to protect their applications against calling an
unsuspecting new mmap syscall instead of the aio syscall specified in
the kernel they compiled against.

> Maybe, just maybe, most people simply do not care one iota about AIO.
>
> Linux caters to the general concerns not the nooks and cranies, that
> is why it is anything but doomed.

What I'm saying is that for more people to play with it, it needs to be
more widely available. The set of developers that read linux-kernel and
linux-aio aren't giving much feedback. I do not expect the code to go
into 2.5 at this point in time. All I need is a set of syscall numbers
that aren't going to change should this implementation stand up to the
test of time.

                -ben

--
Fish.