Re: aio

From: John Heil (kerndev@sc-software.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 13:57:34 EST

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:45:27 -0800 (PST)
> From: "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>
> To: billh@tierra.ucsd.edu
> Cc: bcrl@redhat.com, torvalds@transmeta.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
> linux-aio@kvack.org
> Subject: Re: aio
>
> From: Bill Huey <billh@tierra.ucsd.edu>
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:26:28 -0800
>
> The economic inertia of Java driven server applications should have
> enough force that it is justifyable to RedHat and other commerical
> organizations to support it regardless of what your current view is
> on this topic.
>
> So they'll get paid to implement and support it, and that is precisely
> what is happening right now. And the whole point I'm trying to make
> is that that is where it's realm is right now.
>
> If AIO was so relevant+sexy we'd be having threads of discussion about
> the AIO implementation instead of threads about how relevant it is or
> is not for the general populace. Wouldn't you concur? :-)
>
> The people doing Java server applets are such a small fraction of the
> Linux user community.

True for now, but if we want to expand linux into the enterprise and the
desktop to a greater degree, then we need to support the Java community to
draw them and their management in, rather than delaying beneficial
features until their number on lkml reaches critical mass for a design
discussion.

John Heil
South Coast Software
Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes
1-714-774-6952
johnhscs@sc-software.com
http://www.sc-software.com